It’s a weeknight and you just walked in the door after finishing work or picking up kids from an activity. You’re exhausted and the last thing you want to do is make dinner. You could order pizza, but you’re really trying to stay on a budget and cook more meals at home.
We’ve all been there – I’m usually in this spot multiple times a week.
I’ve put together a few very quick go-to dinners that I use in these instances. We rarely get takeout or delivery because of all the food sensitivities in our house. I can tweak these recipes to suit everyone by swapping an ingredient or two.
Quick and Easy Dinner #1: Chicken Parm Roll Ups
Frozen Chicken Tenders – 2 strips/person
Flour tortillas (burrito size work best) – 1/person
Shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Cook chicken tenders according to package instructions
2. Layer chicken, mozzarella, and marinara sauce inside tortilla
3. Eat happily
*Note: I serve this with a salad on the side.
Quick Dinner #2: Spicy Chicken and Brown Rice
2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 6-8oz. package shredded chicken breast from grocery store deli department
1 can chili seasoned tomato sauce
1/2 c. marinara sauce
3/4 c. milk of choice
1. Cook rice according to package directions
2. While rice is cooking, combine all other ingredients in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until warm.
3. Add rice to saucepan and serve alongside vegetables of choice.
Quick Dinner #3: Speedy Chicken Fajitas
Frozen Chicken Strips
Frozen Fajita Vegetables – look for one with onions and peppers
Tortillas of choice – flour, corn, or tortilla chips
Toppings of choice – lettuce, cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa
Fajita seasonings flavor packet – or paprika, cumin, chili powder and salt.
1. Add chicken and vegetables to non-stick skillet.
2. Heat according to package directions, usually about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add in seasoning packet or above seasonings to taste.
4. Serve with tortillas and toppings of choice.
Quick Dinner #4: Fish Tacos
Frozen fish sticks
Corn or flour tortillas – taco size
Bag of broccoli slaw from produce department
Tartar sauce or ranch dressing
Cilantro or lime juice (optional)
1. Cook fish sticks according to package directions
2. Serve 1-2 fish sticks topped with slaw and dressing
3. Sprinkle with cilantro (optional) and a squeeze of lime juice